email me: alex.kaldor@gmail.com
My Israel Blog: Kaldor's Korner

December 28, 2008

The Amazing Race

The blog title is misleading – there is nothing amazing about this race. 5 airports, 4 countries, 3 flights… wait – that doesn’t add up…

My 6AM flight from Toronto to New York was cancelled and the only way I could get out of Toronto was by land, not air. They booked me on a flight from Buffalo to New York at 11:30AM, so I had to drive to Buffalo. I got to the airport with plenty of time to spare. As I was waiting in line to check in, the power to the entire airport goes out! They manually write me a boarding pass that isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. Because of the last minute flight change, I was not guaranteed a seat on the flight. I check my luggage and go to the gate where someone might be able to help me. Since there was no power, the people at the desk were unable to confirm my seat – they told me to call their hotline to confirm my seat, but the hotline told me to speak to the person at the gate! This continued for almost 4 hours!

At 1PM (an hour and a half after the flight was supposed to leave) power came back on. After waiting in several lines they gave me a spot on the flight, and a real boarding pass! At this point I am continuing to freak out because I need to get on a plane ASAP which is not here! The plane was redirected to Rochester and is now scheduled to leave at 245. This is not good, as my next flight is leaving at 610. Once on the flight, I manage to relax for about a nanosecond. My stress level then skyrockets as the flight can be summed up by the phrase “screaming baby”.

My boarding pass! Unbelievable!

We land in New York at 430, leaving me an hour and a half to disembark, get my luggage, change terminals, check in, go through security and find the gate. I also have no idea where to go to accomplish any of these tasks! When I got to the luggage carosel I immediately went to lost luggage. I was fairly confident that my luggage had made it – but I did not have time to wait for it. I was watching the far carosel from a distance as the lady was doing the paperwork; all the while I did not see any luggage! After the paperwork was done to re-route my bag to Israel I left the room and saw people on my flight at a different carousel! I immediately found my bag and told them they didn’t have to re-route it. To make another long story short I get to the gate 5 minutes before I get on the plane. Obviously I was the last person from the group to arrive. Ironically, had I made my initial flight from Toronto I would have been the first person to arrive.
At this point things started to improve. After a game of musical seats, I won by getting the aisle seat behind the washroom which had extra leg room!

No comments: