So here I am on the plane back to Toronto. I’m no longer asleep and waiting for them to bring me another crappy meal. I’ve been thinking about the last 9 days, as there isn’t much else to do when everyone around you is fast asleep, and they are showing another crappy movie.
To tour Israel (a country no larger than the state of New Jersey) in 9 days is an impossible feat given its rich history. One could spend a lifetime and still not see everything that Israel has to offer. It feels like I have been in Israel for an entire month because of all the things I have seen and done. At the same time, the trip has felt only like 4 days as we have always been on a tight schedule, and always rushing to get to our next site.
Anyone can travel to Israel and see the sites and learn the rich history, but what I will remember most is the amazing group of people that I got to experience this all with. To be with a group of people my age who are all looking to see, learn about, and connect with Israel has enriched my Israel experience. To meet soldiers in the Israeli army has given me a new outlook on myself, as at the age of 18 all Israelis must dedicate 2 or 3 years of their life to defending Israel.
From meeting the soldiers for the first time at the military cemetery followed immediately by having a good time with them eating lunch and laughing. Or partying one night followed by waking up and learning about the holocaust early the next morning, this trip has been an emotional rollercoaster. These 10 days have challenged me in every way possible – physically, emotionally and spiritually.
Hmmm… final thoughts. I’m not really sure what else I can say. This trip has been a once in a lifetime opportunity. These past 10 days have been everything I expected it to be and so much more. I know that this trip has changed me in many ways in such a short time period. I am excited to see how exactly this trip will change me.
To tour Israel (a country no larger than the state of New Jersey) in 9 days is an impossible feat given its rich history. One could spend a lifetime and still not see everything that Israel has to offer. It feels like I have been in Israel for an entire month because of all the things I have seen and done. At the same time, the trip has felt only like 4 days as we have always been on a tight schedule, and always rushing to get to our next site.
Anyone can travel to Israel and see the sites and learn the rich history, but what I will remember most is the amazing group of people that I got to experience this all with. To be with a group of people my age who are all looking to see, learn about, and connect with Israel has enriched my Israel experience. To meet soldiers in the Israeli army has given me a new outlook on myself, as at the age of 18 all Israelis must dedicate 2 or 3 years of their life to defending Israel.
From meeting the soldiers for the first time at the military cemetery followed immediately by having a good time with them eating lunch and laughing. Or partying one night followed by waking up and learning about the holocaust early the next morning, this trip has been an emotional rollercoaster. These 10 days have challenged me in every way possible – physically, emotionally and spiritually.
Hmmm… final thoughts. I’m not really sure what else I can say. This trip has been a once in a lifetime opportunity. These past 10 days have been everything I expected it to be and so much more. I know that this trip has changed me in many ways in such a short time period. I am excited to see how exactly this trip will change me.

4 comments:
great blog buddy. i was happy to re-live our trip through your eyes
It's great that you documented your wonderful travel experiences and recorded your thoughts of your trip to Israel in this blog. I'm glad that you had a tremendous experience on this trip that will last you a lifetime. Thanks for having taken the time and effort to share your experiences with us all through this travelogue.
OK Kaldor. Hoffer here, the senior one that is. I have played too many games of balderdash with you to believe that you wrote this stuff. How much did you pay and who was your ghost writer?
That trip is living part of your dream Alex, now get that 'piece-of-paper and live a few more trips.
You and your mates enjoyment is infectious and there's lots of world to see! With tongue in cheek I say 'is that CLEAR or UNCLEAR.
Post a Comment